Introduction to Generative Design
In this course, we’ll set up, generate, and explore generative design outcomes and post process generative designs. Generative design is a new workflow that generates high-performing design alternatives with optimized geometry that's often times far removed from a traditional design. We’ll explore the basics of Autodesk® Fusion 360™ assemblies and geometry creation with a focus on obstacle geometry. We'll set up a generative design study and develop knowledge of advanced T-spline tools to post process a generative output. With the rapid expansion of various types of manufacturing—from additive, subtractive, and even hybrid approaches—the generative design workflow will give you the power to explore every avenue of a design.
After completing this course, you'll be able to
- Explain generative design technology.
- Create basic assemblies.
- Utilize generative design.
- Explore generative design outcomes.
- Finalize advanced designs.
- Edit sculpted bodies using T-splines.
Project resource download
Getting started In this lesson, we'll discover what you'll learn in this course and download the software and resources you need.
Instructor guide Intro to generative design instructor guide
Lesson 1: Generative design overview In this lesson, we’ll preview generative design software and explore how to make the most of generative design with a shift of mindset.
Lesson 2: Assemblies in Fusion 360 In this lesson, we’ll learn about the difference between bodies and components, the creation of assemblies, and the application of joints to replicate real world motion.
- Lesson 2 datasets.zip 57.91 MB ▼
- L2-01 - Bodies Vs Components_1.mp4_.zip 40.13 MB ▼
- L2-02 - The Creation Of Components_1.mp4_.zip 45.91 MB ▼
- L2-03 - Building A Shock Lower_1.mp4_.zip 99.02 MB ▼
- L2-04 - Building A Shock Upper_1_1_1.mp4_.zip 93.45 MB ▼
- L2-05 - Building A Shock Spring_1.mp4_.zip 30.77 MB ▼
- L2-06 - Application Of Assembly Joints_1_1.mp4_.zip 95.18 MB ▼
- Lesson 2 step by steps.zip 1.53 MB ▼
- Lesson 2 Challenges.zip 425.72 KB ▼
Lesson 3: Generative design preserve and obstacle geometry In this lesson, we’ll learn about the mindset needed to setup a generative study.
- Lesson 3 resources.zip 96.05 MB ▼
- L3-01 - Preserve Geometry.mp4_.zip 39.25 MB ▼
- L3-02 - Create Obstacle Geometry for Motor Mounts.mp4_.zip 88.59 MB ▼
- L3-03 - Create Obstacle Geometry For The Gas Tank And Motor.mp4_.zip 99.09 MB ▼
- Lesson 3 step by steps.zip 1.18 MB ▼
- Lesson 3 Challenges.zip 613.18 KB ▼
- Lesson Challenge - Speedo Preserve.f3d.zip 75.39 MB ▼
- Lesson Challenge - Mirror Bracket.f3d.zip 75.62 MB ▼
Lesson 4: Generative design study setup In this lesson, we’ll complete a generative setup by applying loads and constraints, design criteria, and setting materials for the motorcycle frame model.
- Lesson 4 resources.zip 91.18 MB ▼
- L4-01 - Generative Design Loads And Constraints_1.mp4_.zip 83.41 MB ▼
- L4-02 - Set Generative Design Objectives.mp4_.zip 73.57 MB ▼
- L4-03 - Understanding Manufacturing Methods.mp4_.zip 70.55 MB ▼
- L4-04 - Solve A Generative Study.mp4_.zip 78.76 MB ▼
- L4-05 - Explore Generative Outcomes_1.mp4_.zip 52.67 MB ▼
- L4-06 - Explore manufacturing outcomes_1.mp4_.zip 62.1 MB ▼
- L4-07 - Create A 3d Design From A Generative Outcome.mp4_.zip 36.11 MB ▼
- Lesson 4 challenges.zip 402.05 KB ▼
- L4-Challenge-solutions.zip 32.76 MB ▼
- Lesson 4 Step by steps.zip 1.78 MB ▼
Lesson 5: Post process a generative outcome In this lesson, we’ll work with the created generative motorcycle frame model using T-spline modeling techniques as well as traditional CAD features to ensure the final model is ready for production.
- Lesson 5 resources.zip 62.8 MB ▼
- L5-01 - Review A Generative Model.mp4_.zip 95.57 MB ▼
- L5-02 - Edit A Generative Model.mp4_.zip 88.36 MB ▼
- L5-03 - Set Up A Simulation Study.mp4_.zip 37.53 MB ▼
- L5-04 - Analyze Simulation Results.mp4_.zip 87.75 MB ▼
- Lesson 5 step by steps.zip 1.19 MB ▼
- Lesson 5 challenges.zip 492.33 KB ▼
- L5-Challenge-solutions.zip 41.2 MB ▼