Introduction to CAD, CAM, and Practical CNC Machining
This course introduces you to the foundational knowledge in computer-aided design, manufacture, and the practical use of CNC machines. In this course we begin with the basics in Autodesk® Fusion 360™ CAD by learning how to properly sketch and model 3D parts. Before we program any toolpaths, we’ll explore CNC machining basics to ensure we have the ground level foundational knowledge needed to effectively define toolpaths. Finally, we explore the basics of setting up a CAM program and defining toolpaths to cut simple geometry. This is the same basic process that gets repeated for the design and manufacture of any part and is a critical step in learning and understanding the process.
Explain the CAD design process as applied to prismatic parts.
- Summarize the workflow of digital manufacturing.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in basic Fusion 360 CAM.
- Recall foundational knowledge of practical CNC machining.
Project resource download
Getting started In this lesson, we'll discover what you'll learn in this course and download the software and resources you need.
Instructor guide Introduction to CAD, CAM, and Practical CNC Machining Instructor's guide
Fusion 360 Foundational Design Concepts Dive right into Fusion 360 to learn all the basics of navigating, sketching and modeling.
Fusion 360 Foundation Design Concepts Challenge C1-W1-WC1 12-6-19.pdf
- C1-W1-Challenge.f3d 78.15 KB ▼
- Lesson 1: Exploring the Fusion 360 Interface 85.97 MB ▼
- Lesson 2: The basics of sketching in Fusion 360 113.54 MB ▼
- Lesson: 3 The basics of geometry creation in Fusion 360 60.92 MB ▼
- Lesson 4: The basics of geometry modification in Fusion 360 63.12 MB ▼
- Lesson 5: How do we properly use bodies and components 28.81 MB ▼
- Lesson 6: Creating 2D drawings from a 3D model 133.35 MB ▼
CNC and Machining Basics Expand your knowledge by exploring the basics of machining.
Setting up CAM Programs Explore all the details that go into setting up a CAM program.
Creating our first CNC program Start creating toolpaths by exploring 2 axis cutting and 2.5 axis cutting operations.
Creating our first CNC program challenge C1-W4-WC1 12-6-19.pdf
- C1-W4-Challenge.datasets.zip 113.3 KB ▼
- Lesson 1: Cutting a waterjet part 156.55 MB ▼
- Lesson 2: Introduction to 2.5 Axis Machining 178.19 MB ▼
- Lesson 3: Machining Open and Closed Pockets 156.3 MB ▼
- Lesson 4: Drilling and tapping toolpaths 105.43 MB ▼
Practice exercises Practice exercises to measure skills on the topics covered in this course.
- Introduction to CAD, CAM, and Practical CNC Machining Practice exercises 127.95 MB ▼