Introduction to CAD, CAM, and Practical CNC Machining for Milling
Future-proof your skills for today’s evolving industry. Manufacturing technology is more accessible than ever to startups and next generation entrepreneurs and makers. Now, more than ever, you can get your hands on the tools needed to design and make your ideas a reality.
Get foundational knowledge in computer-aided design (CAD), manufacturing, and the practical use of CNC machines for milling. Explore how to properly sketch and model 3D parts and CNC-machining basics, to ensure that you have the ground-level knowledge needed to effectively define toolpaths. Research the basics of setting up a CAM program and defining toolpaths to cut simple geometry. This basic process gets repeated for the design and manufacture of any part and is a critical step in learning and understanding the process.
After completing this course, you’ll be able to:
- Explain the CAD design process, as applied to prismatic parts.
- Summarize the workflow of digital manufacturing.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in basic Fusion 360 CAM.
- Recall foundational knowledge of practical CNC machining.
Project resource download
Getting started In this lesson, we'll discover what you'll learn in this course and download the software and resources you need.
Instructor guide Introduction to CAD, CAM, and Practical CNC Machining Instructor's guide
- Instructor's guide ▼
Fusion 360 Foundational Design Concepts Dive right into Fusion 360 to learn all the basics of navigating, sketching and modeling.
- Lesson 1: Exploring the Fusion 360 Interface ▼
- Lesson 2: The basics of sketching in Fusion 360 ▼
- Lesson: 3 The basics of geometry creation in Fusion 360 ▼
- Lesson 4: The basics of geometry modification in Fusion 360 ▼
- Lesson 5: How do we properly use bodies and components ▼
- Lesson 6: Creating 2D drawings from a 3D model ▼
- Challenge exercise ▼
CNC and Machining Basics Expand your knowledge by exploring the basics of machining.
Setting up CAM Programs Explore all the details that go into setting up a CAM program.
Creating our first CNC program Start creating toolpaths by exploring 2 axis cutting and 2.5 axis cutting operations.
Practice exercises Practice exercises to measure skills on the topics covered in this course.
- Introduction to CAD, CAM, and Practical CNC Machining Practice exercises ▼