Generative Design for Additive Manufacturing
This course introduces you to one of the more common applications of generative design: Additive Manufacturing or 3D printing as it’s also known. In this course, we explore the basics of geometry creation and the mindset shift needed to build a generative design—a deeper understanding of generative design, its parameters, and how to work with the results specifically aimed at making a 3D printed metal part. We develop insightful understanding of the generative workflow by exploring Autodesk® Fusion 360™ tools and combining them with the creative process of taking an idea to a 3D model. We'll learn how to focus on where a design is and isn’t and apply the generative design thinking process to define a study as we take a deeper dive into Fusion 360.
After this course, you'll be able to:
- Explain the CAD design process as applied to generative design.
- Summarize the mindset for generative design.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in more advanced Fusion 360 CAD workflows.
Project resource download
Getting started In this lesson, we'll discover what you'll learn in this course and download the software and resources you need.
Instructor guide Generative Design for Additive Manufacturing
What is Generative Design? With generative design it is important to understand the mindset needed to set up a generative design study and control the areas where it can and can’t explore.
- Coursera - Generative Design - Course 1 - Week 1 Overview.mp4_.zip 7.47 MB ▼
- Lesson 1: How can we utilize Generative Design 38.92 MB ▼
- Lesson 2: Basics of 3D Modeling in Fusion 360 227.84 MB ▼
- Lesson 3: Creating the Regions for a Design to Avoid 250.76 MB ▼
- Lesson 4: Creating the Regions to Keep in a Design 88.68 MB ▼
Defining a Generative Setup Expand into a generative design study utilizing the preserve and obstacle regions created in the prior week to explore the various options and settings which will drive our generative outcomes.
- Generative Design - Additive manufacturing - Week 2 Overview video.zip 7.76 MB ▼
- Lesson 1: Defining a Generative Study’s Objectives and Settings 81.91 MB ▼
- Lesson 2: Using Edit Model to work on Obstacles and Preserves 47.05 MB ▼
- Lesson 3: Setting up Loads and Constraints 73 MB ▼
- Lesson 4: Solving Generative Design Outcomes 58.44 MB ▼
Working with Generative Design Outcomes Explore the process of viewing outcomes, selecting an appropriate iteration, and creating a design that can be further manipulated in Fusion 360.
Post Process a Generative Design for Additive Manufacturing Explore how to work with a generative design outcome in Fusion 360.
Practice exercises Practice exercises to measure skills on the topics covered in this course.
- Additive manufacturing practice exercise 435.9 MB ▼