Fusion 360 Integrated CAD/CAM/CNC: Make an engraved sign
In this course, students design and manufacture a sign for the Ross Arts Center, a once-vibrant organization that needs a rebrand. Students have been hired to create new signage that freshens their image and reflects a new arts program. Students create a CAD model of an engraved wooden sign and cut a physical prototype on a CNC machine to present at their next staff meeting, along with an estimate of how long it will take to design and manufacture the part.
As a second challenge, students can create their own sign or a sign for a local organization. Students can explore fonts, select a graphic, or design their own graphic for the sign.
To further expand skills, students can explore one or more of the assignments created for this course. It’s a great opportunity to apply and refine skills and work towards becoming an Autodesk® Fusion 360™ Certified User.
After completing this course, students will be able to:
• Use a primitive to create a basic shape.
• Use text to create parametric feature.
• Generate photo-realistic renderings.
• Create technical documentation for manufacture.
• Explain the inspection process.
• Conduct a first article inspection.
Project resource download
Week 1: Project overview
Week 2: CAD
- 2_2_1_Engraved Sign CAD Overview.pptx 13.1 MB ▼
- 2_2_0 Engraved Sign CAD overview.mp4_.zip 6.2 MB ▼
- 2_2_2_3D solid modeling using a primitive.mp4_.zip 12.13 MB ▼
- 2_2_3_Adding engraved text.mp4_.zip 22.91 MB ▼
- 2_2_4_ Rendering.mp4_.zip 19.17 MB ▼
- 2_2_4a_Green_Materials_Selection.mp4_.zip 37.88 MB ▼
- 2_2_5_2D drawing.mp4_.zip 10.99 MB ▼
- 2_2_6_ Collaboration.mp4_.zip 51.11 MB ▼
Week 3: CAM
- 2_3_1_Engraved Sign CAM Overview.pptx 11.53 MB ▼
- 2_3_2_Engraved Sign CAM Overview.mp4_.zip 2.88 MB ▼
- 2_3_3_CAM_Data Panel.mp4_.zip 10.17 MB ▼
- 2_3_4_CAM_Setup.mp4_.zip 13.11 MB ▼
- 2_3_5_CAM_Letters.mp4_.zip 25.53 MB ▼
- 2_3_6_CAM_Chamfer.mp4_.zip 3.21 MB ▼
- 2_3_7_CAM_Setup Sheet.mp4_.zip 10.92 MB ▼
- 2_3_8_CAM_Simulation.mp4_.zip 4.47 MB ▼
- 2_3_9_CAM_Post.mp4_.zip 6.29 MB ▼
Week 4: Manufacturing best practices
- Week 4 engraved sign process plan and data.zip 28.1 MB ▼
Week 5: CNC
- 2_5_1_Engraved CNC overview.pptx 31.71 MB ▼
- 2_5_2_Engraved Machine Power Up.mp4_.zip 73.37 MB ▼
- 2_5_3 Engraved Installing Vise.mp4_.zip 65.14 MB ▼
- 2_5_4_Engraved Indicating Vise.mp4_.zip 58.83 MB ▼
- 2_5_5_Engraved Load Workpiece.mp4_.zip 65.97 MB ▼
- 2_5_6_Building ER Collet.mp4_.zip 67.54 MB ▼
- 2_5_7_Work Offsets_2.zip 39.59 MB ▼
- 2_5_8_Tool Length Offsets.mp4_.zip 74.99 MB ▼
- 2_5_9_Loading NC Program.mp4_.zip 43.64 MB ▼
- 2_5_10_Dry Run NC program.mp4_.zip 60.58 MB ▼
- 2_5_11_Run NC program.mp4_.zip 39.44 MB ▼
Week 6: First article inspection
- Week 6 first article inspection slides and sheets.zip 3.87 MB ▼
Week 7: Assessment
- 2_7_1_Engraved sign_Assessment.docx 24.11 KB ▼