Model and assemble a 3D printer X-axis
In our design, the X-axis of the 3D printer is mounted to the Z-axis. The X-axis also includes the entire 3D printer extruder assembly, which is fixed onto it enabling the extruder to deliver plastic feedstock through the nozzle in both horizontally and vertically. For this reason, the X-axis is perhaps the most complicated of all our desktop 3D printer axis.
In this course, we'll use 2D sketching, 3D parametric modeling, direct modeling, and assembly modeling to model and assemble a 3D printer X-axis CAD model in Autodesk® Fusion 360™. You'll learn how to model and manage complex assemblies, linking both assemblies and components to the 3D printer X-axis assembly. We'll use advanced CAD techniques to project existing geometry onto planes and surfaces to create new geometry. We'll also create sketch patterns and extrude to create solid models, later adding fillets, chamfers, and threads. Finally, we'll use assembly modeling to position components and create motion joints.
After completing this course, you'll be able to:
- Use 2D sketching and 3D parametric modeling to project and edit sketch geometry, create work planes, create sketch patterns, add fillets, chamfers, threads and extrude to create solid bodies.
- Create, copy and move components.
- Use Measure tool.
- Insert components into the current design and position them using rigid joints.
- Insert and link assemblies and components into the current design.
- Insert components from McMaster-Carr into the current design.
- Use assembly modeling techniques to join components using rigid, slider, and revolute joints.
Project resource download
Instructor guide Model and assemble a 3D printer X-axis guide
Lesson 1: Model and assemble the 3D printer X-axis In this lesson, we'll use 2D sketching, 3D parametric modeling, direct modeling and assembly modeling techniques to model and assemble a 3D printer X-axis CAD model in Fusion 360™.
Course challenge assignment Now put your knowledge to the test and apply your skills to a challenge assignments and peer review.
- C3_Challenge_Assignment.zip 18.83 MB ▼
Course assessment Test your skills and showcase your knowledge by demonstrating your actual skills, expertise, or just see where you stand.
- Assessments.zip 20.85 KB ▼