This curriculum will not be monitored after June 30, 2021. You can continue to download these educational materials until that time. Looking for the latest curriculum we have to offer? Try Introduction to 3D Modeling for Manufacturing.
Think like a designer: play with the principles of applied mechanics
To be able to create strong, lasting designs, you need to understand the principles of Applied Mechanics and 5 key concepts in particular:
- Energy and work: types of energy include kinetic and potential energy, chemical energy, electrical energy, and light energy
- Forces: types of forces include compression, tension, velocity and acceleration, torque, and friction
- Power: power sources include hyrdraulics, electrical, mechanical, and thermal
- Loading: aspects of loading include sheer stress, distributed loads, bending moments, and strain
- Mechanisms: types of mechanisms include simple machines, gears, pulleys, belts and gears, and linkages
Get creative with design in class
In this challenge, you’ll use the Applied Mechanics App to learn how applied mechanics can affect a design by exploring five interrelated topics: Energy and Work, Force, Power, Loading, and Mechanisms. The concepts you learn will help you understand the forces engineers and architects work with every day.