Advanced CAD: Engineering Skills for Designers
This curriculum will not be monitored after June 30, 2021. You can continue to download these educational materials until that time. Looking for the latest curriculum we have to offer? Try Introduction to Design for Manufacturing.
It's increasingly important for a designer to understand how parts are made, assembled, and simulated to better identify areas to improve a design. As a designer or design student, we have the task of bridging the roles between a traditional designer and traditional engineer. While we aren’t looking to train designers as engineers, we feel it’s beneficial for a designer to have a greater understanding in a broad spectrum of topics. This course will guide us through the analysis and basic design of injection molded parts, how to assemble and manage complex assemblies, understanding basic static stress and shape optimization simulation studies, and how to create detail drawing and exploded view creation for manufacturing.
After completing this course series, you'll be able to:
- Analyze curvature and draft.
- Create features for injection molded parts.
- Assemble and manage complex assemblies.
- Perform and review basic simulations.
- Create basic detailed drawings.
Project resource download
Lesson 1: Starter activity In this lesson, we provide a sample dataset and learn how to create basic joints to replicate motion digitally.
Lesson 2: Engineering features for plastic part creation In this lesson, we learn some basic rules about creating molded plastic parts and how geometry and design changes affect the outcome.
- Lesson 2 Video Part 1 - Analyzing Draft On A Part.zip 82.53 MB ▼
- Lesson 2 Video Part 2 - Web Creation.zip 72.55 MB ▼
- Lesson 2 Video Part 3 - Ribs and Bosses.mp4_.zip 96.12 MB ▼
- Lesson 2 Video Part 4 - Creating A Reveal.zip 34.77 MB ▼
- Lesson 2 Video Part 5- Creating A Mold Cavity To Check Geometry_1.mp4_.zip 92.93 MB ▼
- Lesson 2 Video Part 6 - Assembly Features.zip 93.76 MB ▼
- Lesson Challenges.zip 18.14 MB ▼
- Print guides.zip 2 MB ▼
Lesson 3: Assembling an internal combustion engine In this lesson, we'll learn how create joints, as-built joints, rigid groups, and understand the structure and layout of assemblies in Fusion 360.
- Lesson 3 video part 1 - Component Vs Bodies.zip 41.4 MB ▼
- Lesson 3 video part 2 - Application Of As-built Joints.zip 63.75 MB ▼
- Lesson 3 video part 3 - Application Of Joints.zip 89.22 MB ▼
- Lesson 3 video part 4 - Driving Joints And Motion Studies.zip 34.48 MB ▼
- Lesson 3 video part 5 - Contact Sets.zip 34.35 MB ▼
- Lesson Challenges.zip 18.69 MB ▼
- Print guides.zip 1.44 MB ▼
Lesson 4: Shape optimization In this lesson, we'll learn how to setup, run, and use the results of a shape optimization simulation study.
Lesson 5: Structural analysis In this lesson, we'll analyze a concept chair by creating a static stress simulation study.
- Lesson 5 video part 1 - Simulation Setup.zip 59.42 MB ▼
- Lesson 5 video part 2 - Solve And Refine A Mesh.zip 46.18 MB ▼
- Lesson 5 video part 3 - Analyze Results And Modify A Design.zip 42.87 MB ▼
- Lesson 5 video part 4 - Review Final Simulation Results.zip 60.15 MB ▼
- Lesson challenges.zip 9.17 MB ▼
- Print guides.zip 938.74 KB ▼